ITO Support Engineer
In the Crick's Ito Helpdesk Team.
Part of Crick Operations.
This role reports to the IT&S Helpdesk Manager and provides 1/2nd line support.
ITO Helpdesk Manager
This is a permanent position on Crick terms and conditions of employment.
This role will report to the ITO Helpdesk Manager and will be based at the Francis Crick Institute to provide 1/2nd line support. Key responsibilities These include but are not limited to:
- Working on a shift pattern of 8am – 6pm Mon – Fri in the ITO Helpdesk team, providing a single point of contact service for all Francis Crick employees.
- Providing 1st and 2nd line ITO support, with primary focus on resolving issues remotely using existing technologies and when necessary by desk visit.
- Ensuring all technical issues and queries received via phone, email, self-service portal or walk-up are logged, tracked and actioned according to agreed processes and best practice.
- Providing a service that is responsive to customer needs by solving as many problems as quickly and directly as possible; if necessary, liaising with other ITO staff to complete the resolution of the problems.
- Participate as required, and as directed by the relevant ITO team members, in the following administrative processes: purchases and asset management (raising orders, monitoring deliveries, returns, etc), recording software licences and managing support contracts for computer hardware and related equipment, general administration and office management.
- Onboard users as required, including the provisioning of end user devices and the setup of user IT credentials and access to relevant systems.
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
- Previous experience in an IT helpdesk environment.
- A proven track record of delivering high quality customer service both in person and on the telephone.
- A demonstrable ability to prioritise effectively in response to competing demands from customers.
- A demonstrable ability to “put yourself” in the place of customers and ensure that the service provided is meeting their needs.
- A “can do” approach to responding to customer queries.
- Entry level Networking qualification or striving towards.
- Working knowledge of ITIL best practice for IT support.
- Good standard of general education, including grade C or above (or equivalent) in GCSE English and Maths.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong organisational skills and a demonstrable ability to manage own time effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrable ability to build effective relationships at all levels.
- Quick learner with proven ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Previous experience of working in science or medical research environments would be an advantage.
- Previous experience of using call-logging or job-tracking systems for IT service requests and Incident Management.
- Previous experience of using ServiceNow an advantage.
- Demonstrable experience of supporting Apple computers running Mac OS X.
- Previous experience of troubleshooting both Mac and Windows applications, particularly Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite, Virtual Applications, Database connections, Data recovery and OS Patching.
- Previous experience with using remote software deployment tools, Casper essential.
- Previous experience of maintaining and troubleshooting IT desktop hardware and software in a networked environment.
- Previous experience of MS Exchange, Active Directory administration and SharePoint and first line troubleshooting.
- Experience with MDM and VPN solutions and supporting mobile devices and Tablets, including iOS and Android.
- Previous experience of supporting and / or setting-up users on telephony using Cisco Call Manager, WebEx and Jabber.
- Previous experience supporting meeting rooms configuring and troubleshooting video projectors and video conference systems an advantage.
- Previous experience with Network Patching, including basic knowledge of switch commands and VLANs.
- Experience building and supporting a mixed Linux environment, predominantly CentOS and Ubuntu.
- Previous experience supporting hardware on MFD Printers.
- Experience with deployments, hardware refreshes and desk moves.
- Knowledge of Linux scripting an advantage.
- Experience of supporting Scientific Equipment would be an advantage.