Laboratory Research Scientist - Visual Biochemistry Lab
We are seeking a Laboratory Research scientist who will be responsible for the execution of nano-fabrication techniques, along with the characterization of nano/micro pattern mould manufacture and TEM grid assembly devices. The position is laboratory-based and very hands-on. The successful candidate will contribute to a research team by working alongside senior engineers to improve and develop new nano-manufacturing processes and devices. The position involves versatile, creative thinking, inclusive teamwork, and detailed execution of process steps include establishing nanoimprint lithography (NIL) and working with external manufacturers, electroplating, physical vapour deposition (PVD) of thin films, chemical release processes, assembly and various characterization techniques such as scanning electron microscopy and atomic force microscopy
These include but are not limited to:
- Nano-imprinting – Learning and executing thin-film deposition, chemical processing, foil lift-off, assembling and releasing these films to particular substrates.
- Metrology and quality control – Collecting and measuring data and executing nano-characterization processes. Performing optical microscope and profilometry measurements on nano-imprinted substrates.
- Communication – Maintaining and updating documentation such as standard operating procedures (SOPs). Delivering regularly scheduled reports to a high-quality standard.
- Organization – Ensure all materials are filed following agreed conventions and are easily accessible.
- Travel – Potential opportunity to travel between collaborator/institutes/universities for knowledge transfer and training.
Key experience and competencies
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: bold, imaginative, open, dynamic and collegial, in addition to the following:
- A Diploma, BSc/BEng or Master degree in material science, physical chemistry, chemistry, MEMS/nanotechnology, or equivalent.
- Knowledge and a good understanding of the related material properties, and processing concepts is essential while, experience in assembly and TEM grid manufacturing is a plus.
- Ability to plan and manage your own work schedule and maintain accurate records to document research progress
- Good technical and problem-solving skills
- Strong collaborative ability and teamwork experience
- Spray coating, electroplating, physical vapour deposition, UV casting, thin-film foil-lift off, thermal embossing, spin coating, drop-casting.
- Characterization (optical microscopy, profilometry, SEM, AFM); familiarity with cleanroom safety, chemical processing and hazardous materials handling protocols.